Setting up a subdomain on Polywork using GoDaddy
A few months ago I came across Polywork, as they say, “the place for multi-players”, it is a new social network where you can post about way more than just your 9–5 job.
We are problem solvers, coders, storytellers, advisors, mentors, parents, rabbit holes voyagers, designers, podcasters, investors & more… All at the same time
On Polywork you see a chronological history of what you’ve been up to and they also allow you to set up your domain to point to your profile very quickly.
The reason behind this post is that it took me a while and a pairing session😂 to figure out how to set up a subdomain with GoDaddy, so I decided to create a short guide on how to do it.
Disclaimer: there is a high chance Polywork updates their doc rather soon and this post is getting outdated but this is also useful for me to come back to and remember my future self how to do it. 🥴
Let’s get to it.
1. Go to your profile settings on Polywork
2. Follow the steps listed under “Setting up a custom domain for your profile”
Important: Instead of setting up your domain name, write the whole subdomain address, in my case updates.carlastabile.com
Polywork has a Step-by-step guide that you can follow, but it’s to set up your domain and not a subdomain, so from here on is where things differ a bit from their guide.
3. Go to your GoDaddy account, find your domain and head over to the Manage DNS section.
4. Remove any A record or CNAME that could block the new CNAME record that we are going to create.
In my case I’d have to delete the CNAME updates (my current subdomain), you will probably have a www CNAME that you should delete.
5. Create a new CNAME with the following values:
- Host: your subdomain name, in my case updates
- Points to: your custom DNS target generated by Polywork on #2
- TTL: Custom
- Seconds: 600
You might have to wait a little bit until the changes propagate but that should be it!
Hope this helps anyone who struggled with GoDaddy like me 😂